MARCH MADNESS. vail resorts update
It's March Madness. But, we here at Vail Resorts aren't mad; we're pretty darn glad, in fact. There's plenty of sunshine, above-averge snowpack (still) and a slew of zany events and festivities.
Here's a rundown of what you need to know for March:
Keystone, April 12
Beaver Creek, April 12
Heavenly, April 19
Vail, April 19
Breckenridge, April 19
Rob Katz was interviewed by CNBC's Erin Burnett about the financial state of the company (after the March 11 earnings), his decision to forfeit his salary for a year, wage reductions to save jobs and innovative, new programs like the Epic Summer guided family tours.
Vail Resorts announced 2nd Quarter earnings, wage reductions and more. Find out how Vail Resorts is cutting cto preserve jobs (and to reward employees when the company succeeds with new stock plan).
Top picks for Spring events:
March 28 Blues & BBQ. Don't get the end-of-season blues; Celebrate at Keystone.
March 29 Pond skimming Championships of Tahoe.
April 1-4 Taste of Vail. The Taste of Vail is the nation's premier spring food and wine festival featuring food and wine tastings, interactive seminars, and a huge mountaintop picnic.
April 4 Gunbarrel 25 hosted by Glen Plake. A thigh-busting challenge. See if you can tackle the moguls of Heavenly with legendary skier Glen Plake, Ski-EO of Heavenly
April 4 Breck150 Kick Off Party. Kick off of the 150th Anniversary of the Town of Breckenridge with “gold nugget hunts" for the kids, live music, an "Anniversary Toast to the Town" with local legends.
April 1-19 Spring Massive, Breckenridge: Celebrate April with three weekends of concerts, competitions, family fun, nightlife, comedy clubs, the Bite of Breckenridge, the Massive Brewfest and legendary spring snow conditions
April 13 – 19 Spring Back to Vail: The biggest end-of-season bash in the Rocky Mountains, Spring Back to Vail is a week of fun in the sun, huge concerts, and the 7th Annual World Pond Skimming Championships.
- April 17 – Chris Isaak, free concert
- April 19 – Of a Revolution (O.A.R.), free concert
- April 18 - 7th Annual World Pond Skimming Championships, Golden Peak on Vail Mountain. World Pond Skimming
April 18 Imperial Challenge- The thirteenth annual Imperial Challenge: 6.2 mile mountain bike ride from the Town of Breckenridge across Peak 7 to Peak 8. Followed by a 2,500 foot, ascent (on foot) of Peak 8 to the top of the Imperial Bowl followed by a ski/ride down to the base of Peak 8.
Heavenly Season Pass. Buy a pass for next season now and get free skiing for the rest of this season + free summer 2009 gondola rides. Heavenly Season Pass is $329 for a limited time. www.heavenlypass.com or www.skiheavenly.com. Heavenly closes for the 2008-2009 season on April 19
Top Breaks for Spring Break on the Slopes. Less than $100 at Breckenridge. Less than $160 at Vail. Plus last-minute web sites.
- Breck Hotel rooms start at $80 at the Breckenridge Mountain Lodge (which is 50 percent off). Valid through March 28. Includes a complimentary breakfast. www.breckenridge.com. Based on availablity. Restrictions may apply.
- Stay in the heart of Vail for under $160 March 23-April 6 at the Tivoli Lodge. Easy access to Vail Village and the chairlifts. Rates start at $159 per night. Taxes not included. Other restrictions apply. This is part of the VailAllTheLove.com promotion. Other last-minute deals are available at www.VailAllTheLove.com. Very limited availablity. Based on double occupancy.
- NEW last-minute ways to save: VailAllTheLove.com or KeystoneTonight.com. Vail and Keystone have created new web sites specifically for the last-minute traveler looking for the best deal. Check out the new www.VailAllTheLove.com for best bets in Vail or click your way to www.keystonetonight.com, for Keystone Resort deals offered that week or weekend. Or, pick up the phone at the last minute. We recommend the very low-tech way to find the best deal. 800.404.3535.
- Check www.VailAllTheLove.com throughout spring for other deals and freebies like free pancakes in town, special retail offers and more.
For more spring break tips, like 2-for-1 dining deals, vacation planning tips and more, click here.
About Vail Resorts
Vail Resorts, Inc., through its subsidiaries, is the leading mountain resort operator in the United States. The Company's subsidiaries operate the mountain resort properties at the Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone mountain resorts in Colorado, the Heavenly Ski Resort in the Lake Tahoe area of California and Nevada and the Grand Teton Lodge Company in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The Company's subsidiary, RockResorts, a luxury resort hotel company, manages casually elegant properties across the United States and the Caribbean. Vail Resorts Development Company is the real estate planning, development and construction subsidiary of Vail Resorts, Inc. Vail Resorts is a publicly held company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: MTN). The Vail Resorts company website is www.vailresorts.com and consumer website is www.snow.com.